Τετάρτη 11 Οκτωβρίου 2017

Margrethe Vestager (COMMISSIONER Competition)

Dear Ms Margrethe Vestager (COMMISSIONER Competition).
I am writing to express my deep concern regarding the continuous profiteering from multinational companies, food chains, and producers in Greece.

Prices of food products in Greece are extremely high in comparison to other European countries. This problem has deteriorated since  the closing  down of smaller supermarkets leading to a monopoly in the market by the few existing larger supermarket chains. Moreover, salaries have continued to get lower during the last few years which has resulted in serious problems for Greek households. I cannot understand why the Government as well as  Consumer Organisations do nothing about it.

I decided to conduct some research. I chose 17 products which the majority of consumes uses in their everyday lives such as flour, milk, eggs and frozen vegetables. I took down the prices of these products from one of the most profitable companies in my country, 365 ,AHOLD DELHAIZER-AB VASILOPOULOS. It belongs to a Dutch-Belgian group: Ahold-Delhaize. A few months ago I went to Belgium and I saw the same products at much lower prices. I then checked my findings on the internet and concluded the same thing. The exact same 17 products cost 12,54€ in Belgium and 20,34€ in Greece. As one can see,  prices in Greece can be 50% - 80% higher. No taxes (VAT in Greece and Belgium are not that different), no transportation costs can possibly explain this huge difference between the  same products. On the contrary, labour costs are higher in Belgium. This company is based in EU and distributes its products to  two countries, Belgium and Greece. I can hardly imagine a reason why there is such an enormous difference in price between the the exact  same products. Unfortunately, I have observed similar cases with other multinational companies as well.

I have called and written to  many Greek public organisations which are supposed to be responsible  for such matters but have received no satisfactory response. Essentially I have been informed that there is nothing they can do on their part. Clearly these organisation in Greece do not have the power or influence that their European counterparts have. Research conducted by journalists has not emphasised  the seriousness of this problem. This can be, unfortunately, understood by the huge profits the media makes from advertisements. Unfortunately, the Greek judicial system is sadly lacking. Bureaucratic incompetence and corruption allow private and multinational companies to get away with deception and extortion. It is within this framework that Greek citizens attempt to survive.

Thanking you in advance for your attention to the matter. I truly hope things can and will change.
I attach photos.

Yours sincerely,

A…… B…….


Dear Α…….. B……….,

We have the pleasure of acknowledging receipt of your email for the attention of Margrethe Vestager.

Kind regards,

Cabinet Vestager






Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου